Influenster

Friday, June 11, 2010

Graduation

Tomorrow Afton will be in the graduation for her high school. She will be in the color guard. It seems strange. Two more years, Lord willing, and it will be her graduation. Where did the time go? It doesn't seem that long ago that we weren't sure we could ever have a baby at all. Now she is almost grown. She thinks she is grown some days. All almost 16 year olds do, I guess.

Tomorrow is someone else's child's graduation but it is a reminder of how quickly our children grow up and away. I picture her walking away. Sometimes I shoot her picture that way. It seems she is always walking away....moving on. So sad and so hopeful all in one shot.

She is not learning to walk like she did when she was a baby. She is learning to walk alone, to stand on her own two feet. It is hard. I want to hold her hand. Often, I want to hold her back. She pulls away, toward independence, like she should. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I resist. I hold on, almost as hard as she pulls away. Eventually, I have to let her win this one. But tomorrow, I think maybe, just maybe, I will hold on a little longer and tighter than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment